Fig Newton Scones
It's fig season and I'm on a major kick. Care to join me in my obsession? Print this recipe out and make these bad boys Saturday morning. Your tastebuds will not be dissapointed. I guarantee it.
Gluten-Free Fig Newton Scones
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Yield: 8 scones
- 1 3/4 C Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Flour
- 1/4 C sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp salt-sense
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 C cold earth balance butter
- 2 large organic eggs
- 1/3 C plain almond milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 C (or more!) diced dried mission figs
- Dash of cinnamon
- Sprinkle of brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl
- Cut in butter using a pastry blender (or a fork) until the mixture is crumbly.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, blend well.
- Add the figs to the dough and blend.
- Drop dough on to a baking sheet by 1/3 cup-fulls and shape into a triangle. Let dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle scones with cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Place in oven for 15 – 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove and let set for five minutes.
- Enjoy warm with butter and jam!